Skip to Content

Fact Check: Are Calibrachoa Poisonous To Dogs? (2022)

Are Calibrachoa Poisonous To Dogs

You’ll agree with me on this one…

The name calibrachoa alone sounds scary already…

Despite that, this plant will mesmerize you with a variety of colors.

But you can’t just plant anything in your garden because you have your pooch running around it.

With that, you wanna check the facts first.

Keep reading to find out:

  • 5 plants that are very toxic to dogs.
  • 3 things to do when your dog eats a toxic plant.
  • What’s calibrachoa (and if it’s poisonous to dogs).
  • And much, much more…

What are Calibrachoa?

Calibrachoa is another name for the plant million bells. It’s a widely-known plant that you can grow in containers.

Some people will also recognize it by the name mini petunias.

That’s because this plant appears to be tiny petunias. But, they’re smaller as they only blossom about 1 in (2.5 cm) in diameter.

Moreover, they grow very fast, and they bloom. But only during their growing season, which is from spring to fall.

Plus, calibrachoa is also called “spillers.” Their fast growth is still a reason behind the nickname. 

Other than that, they also tend to spill around the sides of the container they’re growing. 

When that happens, it looks like they’re cascading on the pot’s edge.

And oh, how beautiful it looks when they act that way. Especially with their wide variety of colors. Namely:

  • Red.
  • Pink.
  • Blue.
  • Coral.
  • Yellow.
  • Cream.
  • Purple.
  • Orange.
  • Lavender.
  • Burgundy.

Then, they stand proud with the size of 6 in (15 cm) to 12 in (30 cm).

With those qualities, they make a perfect mix with other flowers. 

That’s why they’re often displayed around hanging baskets or act as borders on a landscape.

Are you planning to try it out in your garden?

Then you have no worries when your dog plays around the area where you plant them. Your fur baby can be as carefree as these happy puppers:

You might also want to know: Are Snapdragons poisonous to dogs?

Are Calibrachoa poisonous to dogs?

Calibrachoa isn’t poisonous to dogs as they don’t have any toxic principles. But, the fertilizer you’ll use in planting these might be harmful. With that, you must be mindful of the fertilizers you put in your garden. As much as possible, choose dog-friendly options like compost or manure. 


What plants are very toxic to dogs?


Unfortunately, not all plants are like calibrachoas…

Many plants don’t make the cut and are actually toxic to dogs.

Moreover, their toxicity levels vary from one another.

Some are just mildly poisonous.

Then, others are extremely harmful, even to the point that they’re deadly.

Examples of those are:

#1: Cyclamen

Cyclamen

You might also know this plant as Persian violet or sowbread.

But no matter what you call it, cyclamen is highly harmful to your pooch.

That’s because it contains the toxin irritant called saponins. 

Now, that toxin is highly responsible for many plant poisonings.

Take it from this research that took a little more than a decade to finish:

They say that dogs are the most poisoned animals. Their data shows that 61.8% of the cases involve a canine.

Now, any part of the cyclamen contains that irritant. 

So, keep your pooch away from the whole plant…

If you fail to do so, the following clinical signs will show:

  • Seizures.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Vomiting.
  • Drooling.
  • Weight loss.
  • Lack of appetite.
  • Abnormal heart rate.
  • Presence of blood in their urine.

“What should I do when a plant poisons my dog?”

Time is crucial when it comes to cases like this…

You must act the moment that you catch your dog eating the toxic plant.

And once you get a hold of them, here’s how you should proceed:

Step #1: Removal

Immediately remove any leftover parts of the plant from Fido’s mouth.

Make sure to get it all out.

And to do that, you can flush their mouth with running water.

While you’re doing the removal, it will help if someone else calls the vet. Tell them everything that has happened so far. 

Most importantly, listen carefully to their instructions.

Step #2: Inducing vomiting

Now, it’s time to get rid of the plant on your doggo’s stomach…

And no, don’t worry…

No one needs to open your dog up.

What you can do is use an emetic.

What’s that?

It’s a substance that can induce vomiting on your pooch.

And when they vomit the plant out, they lessen the risk of toxins spreading on their body.

So, what can you use as such?

The MSDVM suggests using a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide. 

Moreover, it’s something that you might find around your house.

So, check the concentration first. Make sure that it doesn’t exceed 3%.

Why?

Higher concentrations can lead to further poisoning.

Moreover, only administer a small dose. To be specific, 0.17 oz (5 mL) to 0.34 oz (10 mL) will do.

Give it to your pooch through their mouth using a syringe.

Then, wait for them to expel their stomach’s content.

Step #3: Veterinarian help

This is the most necessary step.

Even if you’ve induced vomiting already…

Despite knowing that Fido must have released all the plants in their tummy…

Still, have them checked by their vet.

It’s best for your dog’s welfare as only a vet can clear your dog’s health.

#2: Tulips

Tulips

These flowers are among the most popular of all…

Why won’t they be? 

Tulips have this unique look that separates them from other flowers.

But having these beauties in your garden might cost you your pup’s well-being.

Why?

That’s because they’re toxic to dogs.

According to ASPCA, the toxic irritants are called tulipalin A and B.

Moreover, those toxins are highly concentrated on the flower’s bulbs.

Regardless, the whole flower can harm your pooch.

Moreover, severe poisoning can happen when your dog eats large amounts of it. 

But a severe case can also appear when Fido accesses freshly-planted tulips.

When that happens, PPH says these signs will show:

  • Diarrhea.
  • Vomiting.
  • Depression.
  • Sudden drooling.
  • Difficulty breathing.
  • Increased heart rate.
  • Changes in respiration.

For further reading: 9 Reasons Why Your Dog Is Breathing Fast While Sleeping

#3: Daisy

You shouldn’t underestimate these cute and simple little flowers…

At least on behalf of your pooch…

Why?

That’s because daisies are toxic to dogs.

And this time, it’s not just due to one or two irritants.

The ASPCA says there are many potential toxic irritants in daisies.

And when it makes your way to your pupper’s stomach…

Uh-oh…

It would be terrible news. 

Your dog will start showing clinical signs of poisoning, such as:

Reading tip: Help, My Dog Is Constantly Scratching And Biting Himself!

#4: Daffodil

Yes, these flowers look so lovely. They’re known for their classic yellow color and trumpet-like look.

But there’s another thing that you should know about daffodils…

And it’s none other than its toxicity contents that can harm your pooch.

PPH says that these flowers contain the alkaloid lycorine.

Now, that component has strong emetic properties.

And I mentioned emetics earlier, right?

They’re substances that stimulate vomiting.

And as daffodils carry that emetic, it means that it can trigger such a reaction.

Moreover, lycorine is mostly present on the bulbs of the flower.

So if Fido eats that part, they’ll likely experience a severe case of poisoning.

But, the whole plant can poison your dog.

And if that happens, they’ll show other signs like:

  • Nausea.
  • Drooling.
  • Vomiting.
  • Rapid heart rate.
  • Abnormal breathing.
  • Abdominal pain, which will show through whining.

#5: Azalea

Many appreciate azalea as they appear lovely with their bright pink color.

But such isn’t welcome in your pupper’s stomach.

Why?

It’s because azaleas are toxic to dogs.

According to PPH, the irritant behind its toxicity is grayanotoxins.

And you must not underestimate it…

That’s because it disrupts the body’s sodium channels.

Then, that leads to the malfunction of the cardiac and skeletal muscles,

Moreover, every part of the plant is highly poisonous.

And how toxic am I talking about?

Well, an equivalent of just 0.2% of Fido’s body weight can lead to poisoning.

So when they eat even a little amount of azalea…

Then, it’s bad news for your fur baby.

Moreover, expect to observe these symptoms as well:

  • Coma.
  • Seizures.
  • Drooling.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Vomiting.
  • Depression.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Abnormal heart rate.
  • Pain in the abdomen.