Skip to Content

Fact Check: Are Snapdragons Poisonous To Dogs? (2022)

Are Snapdragons Poisonous To Dogs

You saw these beautiful flowers outside a fellow dog parent’s house…

Such a sight made you want to put some in your garden as well.

But for your dog, you know you must check the facts first.

So, will your pooch be safe around these beauts?

Continue reading to discover:

  • 7 plants that are very toxic to dogs.
  • What’s the most violently toxic plant to dogs.
  • What are snapdragons (and if they’re poisonous to dogs).
  • And many more…

What are Snapdragons?

Snapdragons are classic short-lived flowers in many gardens. You can spot it in flower boxes or patio containers. Plus, they bloom in many attractive colors like white, pink, red, orange, and many more.

The botanical name for snapdragons is Antirrhinum majus. And it’s a reference to how the flower looks.

“Really?”

Yes. That name means “like a snout,” which describes the flower’s appearance.

That’s because their individual flower heads look precisely like a snout.

As for their other common names, those are:

  • Dog’s mouth.
  • Lion’s mouth.
  • Toad’s mouth.

Moreover, snapdragons also have so-called jaws. And those snap open and close when pollinators come near them.

But, only large bumblebees can pollenate these flowers. They’re the only ones strong enough to prompt a snap. 

And according to experts, those bumblebees are called the flower’s main pollinators.

With that, it’s bad news for smaller honeybees. Unfortunately, they won’t open the snapdragon’s jaws.

Now, let’s talk about their appearance….

Let’s start with their many lively colors. Namely:

  • Red.
  • Pink.
  • White.
  • Violet.
  • Peach.
  • Purple.
  • Yellow.
  • Orange.

Moreover, the size of these flowers vary. 

You can come across tall or dwarf varieties. So, they range from being a few inches tall to reaching 4 ft (122 cm).

Lastly, you can expect these pretty flowers to bloom when the weather’s cool.

So, they thrive from spring to fall. And they add vibrant colors to the season using their highly saturated hues.

But as summer arrives, you’ll notice that they’ll slow down.

Now that you confirmed snapdragons aren’t poisonous to dogs…

Then it might be time to start growing it with your pupper’s help. Like this cute Doxie helping out their dog parent:

You might also want to know: Are Calibrachoa poisonous to dogs?

Are Snapdragons poisonous to dogs?

Snapdragons aren’t poisonous to dogs. Experts say that your canine can eat or be near snapdragons without facing any consequences. But, be mindful of using fertilizers when planting these in your garden. The flower itself might be safe, but using commercial fertilizers can harm your dog. 


What plants are very toxic to dogs?


Many plants are very toxic to dogs. That’s why it’s essential to be familiar with all sorts of poisonous plants to your canine. And such is considered a crucial part of responsible dog parenting.

Fortunately, experts from ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center have a comprehensive list.

However, it’s a very long tally…

Plus, some plants belong to the same family. Therefore, it causes redundancy on the list.

So, along with statements of vets from PetMD, I’ve gathered a record as well. 

Without further ado, these are plants that are very toxic to dogs:

#1: Yew

Yew

This plant comes in many variants and common names.

So, you might have heard of yew as:

  • Taxus.
  • Taxine.
  • Evergreen.
  • English yew.
  • Western yew.
  • American yew.
  • Japanese yew.
  • Anglo-Japanese yew.

But you know what else it’s called?

It also has the nickname of “tree of death.”

However, the origin of that term means something mythological.

According to experts, it has something to do with the tree’s appearance. All in all, it symbolizes death and resurrection for some cultures.

But if you’ll look at it from your dog’s standpoint…

It can indeed be their doom.

You see, yew contains the toxic principle called taxine.

So, when they ingest the plant, they’ll experience:

Most of all, experts say that if your dog eats yew, it can lead to sudden death.

That’s because yew can extremely harm their cardiovascular system.

#2: Oleander

This is a common shrub that you can normally find in warm areas.

If you’re from a sunny place, then you’ll probably see oleanders planted along the highway.

But despite them being on display most of the time, oleander is highly poisonous.

And not just for your pooch, but for you as well.

Plus, all parts of it can be toxic. That means its stems and leaves can bring the same consequence.

That’s because it naturally carries poison. Such can badly damage the heart.

According to Pet Poison Helpline (PPH), the toxins are called cardiac glycoside toxins.

Moreover, it does its harm by directly affecting the heart muscles’ electrolyte balance. 

Let’s see it from this study that observed a case of oleander poisoning in a Maltese dog. 

According to its observances, the clinical symptoms of oleander poisoning are:

  • Vomiting.
  • Low blood pressure.
  • Irregular heartbeat (cardiac arrhythmia).
  • Electrolyte imbalance (mild hyperkalemia).

But, the dog in the study was able to recover after 48 hours of aggressive care.

#3: Hemlock

Hemlock

This one’s extremely harmful…

If it isn’t, then the PPH won’t refer to it as “the most violently toxic plant in the United States.

I’m talking about water hemlock. Some commonly know it as cowbane.

Now, this plant contains the following toxins:

  • Cicutol.
  • Cicutoxin.

Those are dangerous as it harms the brain. It does so by attacking the neurons in the said organ.

Moreover, it can affect the whole central nervous system.

So, keep your pup away from this extremely poisonous plant.

And your pooch should avoid all parts of it. Even the water from where hemlock grows can have traces of the toxins.

How so?

That’s because the said toxins are highly concentrated on the plant.

And according to the ASPCA, the clinical signs of hemlock poisoning in dogs are:

  • Tremors.
  • Paralysis.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Agitation.
  • Sudden drooling.

The worst thing that can happen is the ingestion leading to your canine’s death.

#4: Dog daisy

Did you know? Daisies belong to the largest plant family.

According to experts, it has about 23,600 species.

Not only that, but it has many subspecies.

And I’ll talk about a specific one.

They’re called dog daisies...

But wait…

Don’t let its name fool you or Fido.

That’s because dog daisies aren’t inviting to dogs at all.

Instead, they’re toxic to canines.

It’s due to their alkaloid and achilleine components. Now, those are poisonous to dogs.

And when your fur baby gets near these dog daisies…

Uh-oh…

They might start showing symptoms like:

  • Choking.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Drooling.
  • Vomiting.
  • Confusion.
  • Trembling.
  • Dermatitis.
  • Convulsions.
  • Muscle spasms.
  • Increased urination.
  • Loss of coordination.

Editor’s pick: Help, My Dog Is Constantly Scratching And Biting Himself!

#5: Sweet William

Oh, these flowers aren’t as sweet as the name suggests they are…

At least for your pooch, okay?

Because for you, the flowers of sweet williams are edible. You can buy organic ones and use them to decorate some cake.

But if you do, Fido shouldn’t have a taste of that surely yummy dessert.

Why?

That’s because sweet williams are toxic for dogs.

They belong to the group dianthus. And such consists of mostly-pink flowers that can poison canines.

But, ASPCA says that the toxic irritant remains unknown.

Regardless, sweet williams are sure to cause the following to your dog:

  • Itching.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Skin dermatitis.
  • Lack of appetite.
  • Gastrointestinal upset.

Continue reading: Fact Check: Are Dianthus Poisonous To Dogs?

#6: English Ivy

Have you seen this famous versatile houseplant?

They’re considered a great addition to one’s home. That’s because you can grow them in almost any situation.

English Ivies can thrive on hanging baskets or pots.

But with a dog, will English ivies really be a great addition to your place?

I ask you as this plant is known to be toxic in dogs.

According to experts, ingestion of English ivies can lead to:

  • Diarrhea.
  • Vomiting.
  • Hypersalivation.
  • Abdominal pain.

Moreover, its toxic component is called triterpenoid saponins.

Now, let’s look at this decade-long research‘s data:

It shows that dogs mainly were the victim of poisoning.

During the 12-year period, 61.8% of the animals poisoned were dogs.

Moreover, triterpenoid saponins are among the leading toxins responsible for the poisonings.

#7: Aloe vera

Most people know aloe vera as a medicinal plant.

Then, others also recognize it on many beauty products.

But despite its many benefits, aloe vera is toxic to dogs.

Like English ivies, aloe contains the toxin saponins.

With that, ingestion of it can cause the following on your dog:

  • Diarrhea.
  • Lethargy.
  • Vomiting.