Yesterday a little girl fed my dog a raisin in the park (in case you didn’t know, raisins come from grapes).
This is why I would like to answer the following question today:
Can Pomeranians eat grapes?
Keep reading to discover:
- Signs of grape or raisin poisoning.
- Ways to prevent grape or raisin intoxication.
- How giving your Pom grapes and raisins is putting their life at risk.
- And more essential facts for Pom parents….
Table of contents
- Can Pomeranians eat grapes?
- ‘I was shocked!’
- Why you shouldn’t give your Pomeranian grapes of raisins
- What is grape poisoning?
- Can a single grape kill a Pomeranian?
- How soon will a Pomeranian get sick after eating grapes?
- What should I do if my Pomeranian ate grapes?
- How to prevent my Pomeranian from eating grapes?
- Recovery of grape poisoning in Pomeranians.
- What about other fruits?
Can Pomeranians eat grapes?
Pomeranians shouldn’t eat any type of grapes and raisins. Grapes are highly toxic to dogs. Grapes and raisins are known to cause kidney failure in Poms and eating too much can lead to the death of your Pomeranian.
If you want to give your Pom a healthy and tasty snack, check this article out. This article could be your Pomeranian’s life-saver.
‘I was shocked!’
Before I could react, Lissa (my dog) had already eaten the raisin.
I asked the girl if she feeds raisins to her puppy, she said ‘yes’.
The girl and her Mom had good intentions (avoiding dog food with preservatives)…
But there was one problem. They weren’t aware of the effects grapes can have on their dog’s body.
By not being aware of how dangerous grapes can be, the girl and her Mom risked the health of their beloved two-months-old dog!
The thing that puzzled me most was that they had the best of intentions and were looking for healthy alternatives. That was the logic behind their decision.
The irony was that by taking this direction, they were possibly endangering the health of their dog more than they otherwise would.
And they had no idea…
I don’t blame them. In fact, I get them.
It’s hard to have to go to your 9 to 5 job, prepare home meals, walk your dog and find time to spend with family.
There’s barely enough time to do all of these, let alone read all there is about recommended dog food, its benefits, and healthy substitutes.
That’s when I knew I had to do something about it. It’s what drove me to write this article and provide as many people with as much relevant info on the subject as possible.
My aim is to give you all the facts and advice so you won’t have to spend hours on the internet, trying to put the puzzle together.
Why you shouldn’t give your Pomeranian grapes of raisins
Although Pomeranians enjoy eating grapes and raisins, you must never give them to your dog.
Even if your Pomeranian ingests a small number of grapes or raisins, he can suffer from grape poisoning.
And this can lead to kidney failure.
Warning: Raisins are more concentrated than grapes. This is why it only can take a few to do damage to your Pom.
What is grape poisoning?
Grape poisoning in dogs is an emergency. It can happen after a Pom eats a handful of grapes or raisins.
It requires immediate veterinary treatment to prevent the toxin’s absorption by the Pom’s body.
Signs of grape poisoning include:
- No energy.
- Lack of appetite.
- Doesn’t produce urine (anuria).
- Dehydration (resulting in excessive drinking of water).
- Abdominal pain (your Pom might growl or yelp when you touch his tummy).
Which types of grapes can poison a Pomeranian?
Whether the grape is green or red in color, the effect and the amount of damage it can cause are the same. This also applies to home to commercially-grown grapes.
Grapes, raisins, sweeteners based on that, and any product that contains either of them can be poisonous for your Pomeranian.
Here are some examples of products that have grapes:
- Grape juice.
- Baked products with grapes or currents.
Can a single grape kill a Pomeranian?
There is no set standard as to how many raisins or grapes can kill a Pom as the possibilities vary between individual dogs.
Since Pomeranians are so small, even several raisins or grapes can lead to health problems.
Any amount of raisins and grapes are considered dangerous for a Pomeranian to eat.
This could lead to death depending on the amount consumed and on the health of the individual Pom.
How soon will a Pomeranian get sick after eating grapes?
Like mentioned above…
The first signs of toxicity in Pomeranians are vomiting and diarrhea.
They begin between 6 to 12 hours after the ingestion of grapes and raisins.
What follows is a lack of energy and weakness. Your Pom will likely start drinking more water due to dehydration. There will be failure to urinate a normal amount of urine. What’s more, this could result in fatal kidney dysfunction in 1 to 3 days.
What you can do to prevent kidney dysfunction is take your Pom to the vet. The vet can then induce vomiting and give charcoal.
What should I do if my Pomeranian ate grapes?
If you saw your Pomeranian induce grapes, do not wait for the symptoms to show as then it might be too late.
The safest and adequate solution is to call the vet or a poison help-line.
That way you can receive instructions on what to do next based on the specifics of your Pom and his case. If you bring the Pom to the vet on time, they will try to induce vomiting.
Caution: Make your vet aware if your Pomeranian has issues breathing or shows in any way that he’s shocked.
How to prevent my Pomeranian from eating grapes?
Preventing your Pomeranian from eating grapes can save you stressful vet visits, a lot of money and contribute to your confidence of a dependent loving dog parent. Poisoning prevention is easy.
Grape-based products can be present in your life but should be out of your Pomeranian’s reach at all times.
Toxic substances such as wine, chocolate, raisins, and grapes should be on the table, in cupboards and on the counter where your Pom cannot reach them.
Have the chairs of the kitchen table neatly tucked under it so your Pom cannot jump on them and use them as a ladder.
If something falls, either pick up your Pom before he gets to that place or pick up that one single thing that fell.
If a lot of the content fell on the floor, put your Pom in another room so you can quickly clean without exposing your furry baby to risk.
Tip: Educate others in your social circle what damage grapes can cause to dogs and how to prevent such situations.
If your Pom tends to eat whatever comes into reach, do the following:
- Don’t leave open grape or raisin containers in the house.
- Don’t throw grapes or raisins in the trash, get a food processor instead.
- Keep your Pom leashed around grocery store dumpsters and trash bins in general.
Caution: Pomeranians are little dogs that are pampered almost constantly so you can’t rely on their survival instincts to save them from eating poisonous plants.
Recovery of grape poisoning in Pomeranians.
It depends on whether the toxicity your Pom experiences is mild or severe. In general, the smaller the dose is, the better chances your Pom has to recover faster.
If you take immediate measures, they can save your Pom’s life.
If your Pom ingested a lot of grapes, though, he might suffer some health damage despite your timely reaction.
What about other fruits?
After reading this article it should be clear that grapes (or raisins) aren’t a good snack for your beloved Pom.
Luckily there are some fruits that are safe for your little pooch (in moderation).
Read further: 21 Fruits Pomeranians Can And Can’t Eat (Ultimate Guide)
I also wrote an article about common vegetables that your Pom can and can’t eat, you can read it here.